Thursday, January 5, 2012

Top Songs: 2011

I'm a bit old fashioned -- whenever I make a playlist, I try to make sure it would fit onto a CDR (about 80 minutes, or around 20 songs). How weird is it that that could be considered "old fashioned"? Anyway, like I said last time, I listened to a *LOT* of music last year. So much so, in fact, that I couldn't fit all my favorite songs onto a single playlist -- not even two playlists, actually. No, I had to break it up into three different playlists -- the Greatest Hits, B-Sides, and Demos of 2011. I'll hyperlink to music videos* when I can (song sans video otherwise). All songs are listed alphabetically. Enjoy!

2011 GREATEST HITS (best, obviously)
"Anthem for the Unwanted" - New Found Glory
"Bandits" - Meg & Dia
"Barton Hollow" - The Civil Wars*
"Every Thug Needs a Lady" - Alkaline Trio
"Factory of Faith" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Fire Fly" - Childish Gambino
"Gold on the Ceiling" - The Black Keys
"Heart's All Gone" - Blink-182*
"If I Wanted Someone" - Dawes
"Jack Sparrow" - The Lonely Island (feat. Michael Bolton)*
"Midnight City" - M83*
"No Church in the Wild" - The Throne (feat. Frank Ocean)
"Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO*

Not kidding, my favorite video of the year. I mean, it's a 28 Days Later parody! Love it.

"A Real Hero" - College feat. Electric Youth (from the Drive soundtrack)
"Romance" - Wild Flag*
"Second Song" - TV on the Radio*
"This Is Why We Fight" - The Decemberists*
"Two" - Lenka*
"Walk" - Foo Fighters*
"Where I'm Supposed to Be" - Daybreaker

2011 B-SIDES (2nd best)
"All My Rage" - Laura Marling*
"Be Your Bro" - Those Darlins*
"Believe" - Cobra Skulls
"Boom Boom Boom" - MEN*
"As Long As We're Cool" - Big D & The Kids Table
"Brick by Brick" - Arctic Monkeys*
"Cataracts" - Thrice
"Celebrity" - The Subways
"Changing" - The Airborne Toxic Event*
"Dance With the Devil" - The Sounds*
"Defiance" - Incubus
"Eskimo Kiss" - The Kooks
"Get Some" - Lykke Li*
"Harvey Wallbanger" - Less Than Jake
"Holdin on to Black Metal" - My Morning Jacket*
"Invisible Riverside" - Ryan Adams*
"Machine Gun Blues" - Social Distortion*
"Melanin" - Dave Hause
"Natural Disaster" - City And Colour
"Party in the CIA" - "Weird Al" Yankovic
"Underneath the Sycamore" - Death Cab for Cutie
"Warrant" - Foster the People

2011 DEMOS (3rd best)
"Amor Fati" - Washed Out*
"Battery Kinzie" - Fleet Foxes
"Behold the Hurricane" - The Horrible Crowes
"Beth/Rest" - Bon Iver*
"California" - EMA*
"Carousel" - Vanessa Carlton*
"Clever Clever Jazz" - Art Brut*
"(Don't Let Them) Cool Off" - Peter Bjorn & John*
"Dressed Sharply" - An Horse*
"Fake ID" - Dwarves
"Getting Ready for Christmas Day" - Paul Simon*
"How Deep Is Your Love?" - The Rapture
"Novacane" - Frank Ocean*
"On Monday" - Dan Andriano In The Emergency Room
"Running on Nothing" - Fucked Up
"Tallulah" - Company Of Thieves
"Techno Fan" - The Wombats*
"You're So Right" - The Strokes
"Your Fake Name Is Good Enough For Me" - Iron & Wine


That's a lot of songs -- I hope you find something you like! Feel free to let me know what your favorites were as well. Keep listening to good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment