Friday, January 18, 2013

Top Songs: 2012

Like I said in my Top Albums post, while this year may not have been as top-heavy as last year, I think it's a deeper overall year. That is reflected in my Top Songs list(s) below. Each of the three lists (Greatest Hits, B-Sides, and Demos) is around 80 minutes (fits on a CDR!) of awesome. As a bonus, I'll give you some Top 10 hits that I liked/hated. All songs are listed alphabetically by title. Enjoy, and let me know what I missed!

* = hyperlink to a music video (a link to audio only otherwise)

2012 GREATEST HITS
"45" - The Gaslight Anthem*
"Closer Than This" - St. Lucia
"Comeback Kid" - Sleigh Bells*
"Cut You" - Cloud Nothings*
"Flowers in Your Hair" - The Lumineers*
"Friends of Friends" - Hospitality*
"The House That Heaven Built" - Japandroids*
"In Sleep" - The Bouncing Souls
"Lies and Eyes" - Minus the Bear
"Lost & Found" - Eve 6*
"Navy" - Kilo Kish*
"Piano Hits" - P.O.S
"Roadie" - Tenacious D*
"Skin and Bone" - Heartless Bastards*
"Speed the Collapse" - Metric
"Survivor Blues" - Cory Branan
"Sweet Life" - Frank Ocean
"Take a Walk" - Passion Pit*
"Take the Heartland" - Glen Hansard
"When I Was Young" - Lucero

2012 B-SIDES
"About to Die" - Dirty Projectors*
"All the Rowboats" - Regina Spektor*
"Baby Get Worse" - Divine Fits
"Better Girl" - Best Coast
"Burn It Down" - Linkin Park*
"Draw a Crowd" - Ben Folds Five
"East St. Louis" - Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds
"Fine Foods Market" - Tim Barry
"Ghost" - Ingrid Michaelson*
"How the Hell Did We Get Here?" - Matt Skiba and the Sekrets
"(I Am The) Electric Man" - Titus Andronicus*
"I Dare You To Break My Heart" - Reel Big Fish*
"Lakeside View Apartment Suite" - The Mountain Goats
"Mean Spirits" - Silversun Pickups
"Mean to Me" - Ben Kweller*
"On Momma's House" - Del the Funky Homosapien
"Paddling Out" - Miike Snow*
"Rise Again" - Brandi Carlile
"State of Grace" - Hot Water Music*

2012 DEMOS
"3, 6 ,9" - Cat Power
"Circles" - B.o.B.
"Dead" - Jukebox the Ghost
"Doomsday" - Hacienda
"Fell for You" - Green Day
"Heartbeat" - Kopecky Family Band*
"Heaven" - The Walkmen*
"Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" - Father John Misty*
"Honolulu Blues" - Craig Finn
"Manhattan on Mute" - Cheap Girls
"Simple Song" - The Shins*
"Sixteen Salteens" - Jack White*
"The Streets" - Foxy Shazam
"Sunset" - The xx
"The Theory of Relativity" - Stars
"To: Chicago" - The Spill Canvas
"True Romance" - Motion City Soundtrack*
"What Makes a Good Man?" - The Heavy*
"Write This Down" - Maxïmo Park*
"Your Own Ghost" - Gold Motel

BONUS - 2012 TOP 10 HITS THAT I ACTUALLY LIKED
"Call Me Maybe" / "Good Time" - Carly Rae Jepsen*
"Gangnam Style" - Psy*
"Lights" - Ellie Goulding*
"Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - Kelly Clarkson*
"Part of Me" / "Wide Awake" - Katy Perry*
"We Found Love" - Rihanna*
(One of these things is not like the others...)


BONUES - 2012 TOP 10 HITS THAT I HATED
"Everybody Talks" - Neon Trees
"Somebody That I Used to Know" - Gotye
"Starships" - Nicki Minaj
"Too Close" - Alex Clare
"We Are Young" - fun.
"Whistle" - Flo Rida
(I will not link to the videos -- and to be fair to fun., the rest of the album was decent.)



I hope you enjoy checking out some of the tunes you may have missed. Make sure to let me know your favorites as well. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. "Little Talks" - Of Monsters and Men should have been included on the "2012 Greatest Hits" list. Oops. Video below:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

    ReplyDelete